Quotes of the Week: Marian Rivera is a "psychology" and it’s okay, the Senate reacts to the MRT/LRT fare hike + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) Happy New Year, Spotters! Things are happening pretty fast in 2015-a fare hike welcomed everyone back to work and a lot of people are busy preparing for the Papal Visit. For the most part, we’re all sort of in a daze or happy haze, which means these awesome sound bites might’ve fallen on deaf ears. Scroll down so we can fix that.
1. "Aanhin ko ang kagalingan sa pag-i-Ingles kung hindi naman ako marunong dumiskarte at hindi ako mapagmahal sa mga magulang ko, o nakakalimutan ko ang mga kaibigan ko? Kung ang definition ng matalino ay pag-i-Ingles lang, huwag na lang ako maging matalino." - Marian Rivera, on people judging other people based on how well they can express themselves in a certain language.
Take that, pedants.
2. "Medyo masama lang ang aking kalooban kasi pagkatapos akong indyanin ni Chris Brown, biglang frinend zone lang naman ako ng pangulo lang naman ng Pilipinas." - Doris Bigornia, jesting about P-Noy calling her a "friend."
The world is a better place if you don’t walk around with a stick up your butt and you can make jokes about things.
3. "May binabantayan talaga kaming mga kontratista. Parang lumalabas si VP Binay parang anay eh. Kung makakita ng kahoy, ’di maka-resist." - Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, still crusading against corruption (in the form of Vice President Binay).
Our first animal metaphor of the year!
4. "It is obvious that these are being done not in aid of legislation but in aid of election." - Senator Nancy Binay, on the allegations still being raised against her father.
It is obvious that she is over it.
5. "Kung masilayan lang sana si Pope matuwa na tayo. Not all of us can go near the Pope." - AFP Chief of Staff General Gregorio Catapang Jr., on the security nightmare that is the Papal Visit.
There’s tons of pictures of His Holiness online. Just sayin’.
6. "We have no quarrel that they need to raise it, but the timing isn't right. MRT has poor services, and has yet to fix its glitches, among many others. Secondly, there's not a whisper they'll increase the fare. Thirdly, fuel prices have just gone down." - Senator Grace Poe, on the MRT/LRT fare hike.
In case you didn’t know: The national budget was already approved and some of our senators are pretty irked by the fact that there wasn’t "a whisper" of this fare hike. The money allocated for the subsidy could’ve been reassigned elsewhere early on. Dubious move is dubious.
7. "One reason why we have an MRT that’s overused and overworked because it is so cheap that it is the only option that you would go for." - Transportation Secretary Jun Abaya, on the MRT/LRT fare hike.
Another reason why it’s overused and overworked is because every other option is shitty. Even walking is a hazard. Give us sidewalks, damn it.
8. "It is bad for a priest to fall in love with a woman. It is worse if he falls in love with money." - Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas, on love and other bugs.
Yeah, ’cause you can’t be physically intimate with money.
9. "I won't name names, but some of these pop stars are just awful." - Sam Smith, on other pop stars.
He also revealed that some of these pop stars aren’t nice in real life. Chismis, guys.
10. "He's asexual. He doesn’t want any, and it’s very purposeful on his part. I think he’s been burnt in the past. I think he also realizes he can’t beat female intuition; he can’t. So to embroil himself where he might be enslaved through adoration or sexual desire or any kind of power or chemistry to do with love is too big a risk for him. That doesn’t make him gay, and it doesn’t make him asexual. It means he’s purposely abstaining for the sake of his craft. Not something I do." - Benedict Cumberbatch, on why Sherlock Holmes doesn’t get laid (from a report by Vulture).
Some of the things he said are important, but did you catch that bit when he casually tells people that he copulates? Are we all imagining the same things now? Especially with a Cumberbaby on the way?
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.