Quotes of the Week: Mar Roxas on the law, the President thinks his critics are KSP + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) This week opened with a star: Amal Clooney made headlines when she decided that out of all the people she could be defending as a famous and possibly brilliant human rights lawyer, she picked Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. Who, as you may know, is totally being repressed politically, which is why she’s the Second Representative of Pampanga. Clooney also wanted the government to apologize to GMA for detaining her in the Veterans Memorial Medical Center. Maybe she knows that our hospital facilities aren’t that great. Read more about it here.
Elswhere, Makati Mayor Junjun Binay refused to be suspended-because damn it, our politicians have rights. They have the right to stay in power despite the fact that they are being sued for not doing said job justly.
1. "Kailangan natin lahat respetuhin ang batas at mga kautusang legal. Walang sinuman, kahit ako, ang mataas sa batas." - Senator Mar Roxas, on the law.
Wear your helmet.
2. "I cannot support a man whose behavior is a disgrace to the presidency." - Akbayan Representative Walden Bello, on President Benigno Aquino III.
We’re sure the President won’t take it personally.
3. "Sila ang tawagin na lang po nating ’KSP’: mga ’Kulang sa Pansin,’ mga ’Kulang sa Pag-iisip nang maayos,’ na naghahanap lamang ng mali, ngunit wala namang nailalatag na risonable at alternatibong solusyon." - President Benigno Aquino III, on his critics.
No, wait. He will.
4. "Maniniwala ka [b]a na isang heneral ng isang unit lang ng kapulisan ay maaaring hindi sumunod sa kautusan ng pangulo?" - Attorney Vitaliano Aguirre II, lawyer to relieved Special Action Force (SAF) commander Director Getulio Napeñas, on President Aquino’s finger pointing at his client.
Is this a trick question?
5. "I will continue discharging my duties as mayor until all legal remedies have been respected. While I may belong to the opposition, I am still entitled to my rights like any Filipino citizen." - Makati Mayor Junjun Binay, on being "unjustly" suspended.
Get Amal Clooney to defend you. We’re sure she’d be more than happy to help you, because you totally deserve it. And if it’s politically motivated, it doesn’t count!
6. "I think he wants to [eventually] become the president of his country, and I think he’ll be old enough in a couple of years." - Coach Freddie Roach, on Manny Pacquiao’s aspirations in life.
Maybe someone will knock something else in his head between now and that eventuality?
7. "Our game plan is to be smart, like all 47 fights. This is a fight the world can’t miss." - Floyd Mayweather Jr., on fighting Manny Pacquiao.
Are you going to debate with him on the ring?
8. "Manny, two tickets, buddy! Two tickets!" - Liam Neeson, after declaring that he’s definitely on Manny’s camp.
Liam, just take them.
9. "I think the vast majority of our country believes he made a mistake. Kaya sinabi kong just say sorry, at hindi ako nagbibiro niyan. He’s in a crisis of credibility." - Senator Sergio Osmeña III, on what President Benigno Aquino III should do about his sticky situation.
What is harder: the President’s head or saying that word? (Elton John has an opinion.)
10. "No more. I am done with that. What I want to do is to restore Manila's old glory." - Manila Mayor Joseph "Erap" Estrada, on the Presidential Elections in 2016.
Is the building behind Rizal’s statue part of this restoration?
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.