Quotes of the Week: Toni Gonzaga for World Peace, Pope Francis for Pizza + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) We had two Makati City Mayors this week (or just one, if you ask the DILG). People couldn’t stop talking about Bb. Pilipinas and it’s not even because Pia Wurtzbach finally won-third time really is the charm-but because Toni Gonzaga decided to crack a few jokes during a night of elegance and grace (in bikinis at one point). The debate goes on but the actress-host has put her foot down with an answer fit for the pageant itself.
1. "In the spirit of beauty pageants, let’s end this issue with world peace." - Actress Toni Gonzaga, on the controversial way she hosted Bb. Pilipinas.
You are one Google search away from finding out that some people think that beauty pageants aren’t classy at all.
2. "The only thing I’d like to do is to be able to go out one day without anyone recognizing me and go get a pizza." - Pope Francis, on pizza.
It’s more official than official: Pizza is truly a divine dish.
3. "I think this government is more repressive than others. [President Aquino] is not doing anything. I think he does not know what is happening. He should not have been elected President." - Actress Nora Aunor, urging P-Noy to resign during a commemorative rally for Flor Contemplacion.
She’s not very tall, but she throws major shade!
4. "Vice president ang tatakbuhan natin (sic)." - Senator Antonio "Sonny" Trillanes IV, on his 2016 plans.
We’re all free to dream, but let’s quote Ate Guy: Walang himala. (Also, with the way you’re saying it, you sound like you’re going to run to the Vice President.)
5. "The President is a friend, so it was hard for me to say he was ultimately responsible for the Mamasapano incident." - Senator Grace Poe, on the Senate report on the fatal encounter in Mamasapano.
No hard feelings naman siguro. P-Noy isn’t known for holding grudges and blaming people. (What is the font style for sarcasm?)
6. "I watched Insurgent the other night, and I really sat there thinking to myself, 'Oh my god, she is Hitler.' It is harsh, but it's the truth. Her behavior is diabolical. It really is appalling. The only thing that saved me from disliking her as much as I did is that I know she never existed." - Actress Kate Winslet, on Jeanine Matthews, the villain she portrays in The Divergent Series: Insurgent.
We do appreciate your commitment to Jeanine’s Hitleresque villainy.
7. "I've turned a lot of people off, but I know I can still turn out good music and turn everything around." - Popstar Justin Bieber, apologizing for being Justin Bieber.
To continue or resume making good music, you have to have made good music in the past. What you should say is you vow to make good music from now on.
8. "Sila lang ang gumagawa ng confusion dito. My humble appeal to Secretary Roxas and members of the Liberal Party is to stop these kinds of dirty politics. At the end of the day, ang taong bayan ang pinahihirapan po nila." - Makati City Mayor Junjun Binay, on his "suspension."
What on earth is inside that City Hall that you can’t leave it for six months to address a case you’ve always been confident you can win? It’s almost like paid vacation...or it could’ve been if you didn’t post a P500,000 bond.
Britney Spears, still an inspiration to the teenagers in all of us.
10. "Some people do look like animals. Is that rude? I look like a bird, so can I be mad if somebody calls me Toucan Sam?" - Actress Raven-Symone, on Rodner Figueroa’s comments on Michelle Obama’s face after Paolo Ballesteros "makeup transformed" into her.
If people can only insult your appearance and not your personality, you’re probably fine.
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.