Quotes of the Week: Coach Roach on God, Vice President Binay on Lee Kuan Yew + others
The city's most interesting soundbites this week
(SPOT.ph) A school pulls a Kanye on a student, Angelina Jolie decides to have her ovaries removed, Zayn Malik quits One Direction, Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago endorses Manny Pangilinan...and, after all that, P-Noy still hasn’t said sorry. Oh well.
1. "God doesn't give a fuck who wins. He's got bigger things to do." - Coach Freddie Roach, in response to Manny Pacquiao surrending his fate to God.
We sure hope so.
2. "We must educate the Filipino public." - Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago, during a speech in which she also asked people to stop voting for celebrities.
We’ve been saying it for years. They just like jokes better...especially when they’re coming from someone wearing a barong.
3. "[Lee Kuan Yew’s] political will and pragmatic approach to governance was my inspiration in rebuilding Makati after the 1986 EDSA Revolution from a bankrupt municipality to the country's premier city providing unparalleled social services to its constituents." - Vice President Jejomar Binay, in a statement released in response to the news of the Prime Minister’s passing.
Ah. Talaga? You know he said, "If you are a troublemaker... it's our job to politically destroy you."
4. "Ang magagawa ko na lang, matapos masabi ang lahat ng dapat masabi, at magawa ng lahat ng dapat gawin, humingi po ng pang-unawa." - President Benigno Aquino III, on what happened in Mamasapano.
In House of Cards, President Frank Underwood said sorry. And that guy is ruthless and almost without conscience.
5. "I am not anti-Muslim, but I am anti-MILF." - Senator Alan Peter Cayetano, speaking out against critics saying he is inciting hatred towards Muslims.
Really? We hardly noticed.
6. "I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight." - Popstar Zayn Malik, on leaving One Direction.
Honey, you have to be more specific about that "normal" part. Most 22-year-olds don’t have private time to relax. Hashtag: justsayin.
7. "We consider [unavailability of divorce in the Philippines] a discriminatory practice because many women are forced to stay in a marriage that is harmful to them, either physically or emotionally." - Senator Pia Cayetano, on our country being the only place on earth aside from the Vatican where there is no divorce law.
Look how great our country is because there is no divorce law. We’re making so much progress because people stay married.
8. "Life throws a lot at you sometimes, and you have to deal with it as much as you can." - Actor Jon Hamm, on being in rehab.
It’s okay to not be okay sometimes.
9. "Ipinaglaban ko ang sa tingin ko'y tama, nanindigan ako bilang isang Pilipino na palaban at may takot sa Diyos." - Salutatorian Krisel Mallari, who got Kanye-d during the commencement exercises in her school.
Theme of the week: standoffs.
10. "Top 1." - San Beda Law graduate Irene Mae Alcobilla, telling her parents she topped the bar exam.
We can just imagine how good it feels to type in those four characters. Congratulations!
Art by Warren Espejo, with photos from PEP.ph and screenshots from Facebook fan pages, various TV show videos, news clips, and images used by fans in YouTube slideshows.