SPOT.ph's 50 Quotable Quotes of 2009 (Part 1)
From funny quips and inspiring insights to downright mystifying comments, SPOT.ph takes a look back at the year that was.
1. "I will step down the stage, but not from my presidency... My term does not end until next year."
–President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo during the 2009 State of the Nation address
2. "Long after I'm dead, the video will continue to live on."
3. "Ginoong Pangulo, ang tinutukoy ko po ay si Dr. Hayden Kho who is a pervert of the highest kind, a predator who has no conscience nor respect for women… If you ask me, wala sa tamang pag-iisip ang taong ito, and according to the Medical Act, this doctor can also be punished for insanity. Buwang itong doktor na ito. Baliw Mr. President."
–Bong Revilla in a privilege speech entitled A Doctor's Perversity, at the Philippine Senate on May 19, 2009
4. "I can draw!"
–Carlo J. Caparas on the National Artist Awards controversy
5. "I'm not crossdressing. I'm not a man wearing women's clothes. I'm a woman wearing women's clothes."
6."[A]s long as I have the people of Pampanga I don't need to be popular."
–President Gloria Arroyo on her cabalens
7. "I really need a man in my life."
–Vicki Belo at the height of the sex video scandal
8. "I'm really baffled how some people can call themselves Bistek. Isn't that Filipino for beef steak? Why would you want to be called Beef Steak Rosario? What if you're called Chicksilog Salonga? I wonder why some cute guys are called Enchong when it could probably be Lorenzo. The worst is probably Dingdong. Because you may be a hunk, but if your name is Dingdong, you can never go international."
–Cecile van Straten a.k.a. Chuvaness in a blog post called WTF, referring to Dr. Bistek Rosario, who allegedly spread the Hayden Kho sex tapes
9. "Do you want your president to eat in McDonalds or some turo-turo? I think there's more dignity in having your president, and her Cabinet members, and members of the Lower House to eat in a decent restaurant."
–Mikey Arroyo on the Le Cirque issue
10. "Tatagalugin ko na nang makuha n'yo... Bueno, mahirap din paintindihin 'yung likas na tanga… Isinusuka na kayo ng taumbayan, mahirap man sumuka ang gutom. May araw din kayo."
–Philippine Daily Inquirer columnist Conrado de Quiros on Pres. Gloria Arroyo and her entourage's expensive meals in the US
11. "I am dead serious about running for the presidency. I will run even without party's endorsement."
–Bayani Fernando on October 27, after Lakas-Kampi CMD chose Gibo Teodoro as the party's presidential candidate for the 2010 elections.
12. "He has to show that he is his own man kung gusto po niya na maging magaling na presidente ng bayan natin (if he wants to be a good president of this country)."
–Deputy presidential spokesman Gary Olivar on Noynoy Aquino
13. "Si Korina lang ang nagpatigil ng pagkabinata ko."
–Mar Roxas on Korina Sanchez in the August 2009 issue of Yes!
14. "I weep and I am very hurt not because Mar slid or gave way to somebody else. I am hurt because of some people who expressed doubt about Mar. That is the most painful to me."
–Korina Sanchez demands apology from then-fiancé Mar Roxas' critics, particularly columnist Conrado de Quiros, who described the presidential candidates as "hungry for power."
15. "To this day naman, ang feeling ko, tama naman ang sinasabi ko, so I won't apologize for those things... Wala akong problema mag-apologize kapag it's pointed out to me that I've been wrong. Sabi ko naman, this is not one of those times."
–Conrado de Quiros stating that he will not apologize to Korina Sanchez
16. "With all due respect, pwede mong sarilinin 'yan. Huwag mong i-announce sa TV na ayaw mo ang hihipagin mo."
–Ping Lacson on Kris Aquino's comments about her brother Noynoy Aquino's personal life
17. "There's a guy who cook me."
–Manny Pacquiao talking about his entourage and their duties on The Jimmy Kimmel Show
18. "Sometimes we tell her, 'Huwag masyado. Yung mga things na private to keep it private.' Pero sabi naman niya, 'Yeah, madaldal talaga ako.'"
–Pinky Aquino tells Kris to shut up
19. "If you are in doubt, sue me in court."
–Mikey Arroyo on Unang Hirit, being interviewed about his alleged properties in California by Winnie Monsod
20. "I'm not sick. I did wrong things but I'm normal."
–Hayden Kho on Probe Profiles
21. "The first impulse of any good film critic, and to this I think you would agree, must be of love."
–Alexis Tioseco in a letter to his girlfriend, Nika Bohinc, entitled The Letter I Would Love to Read to You in Person, published in Rogue. Tioseco and Bohinc were both killed by robbers in their own home on September 1, 2009.
22. "For all my life, I would constantly hear mom tell everybody that I was the female Ninoy. I was truly my dad's daughter. Maybe that's why I always felt that I was mom's favorite."
–Kris Aquino's eulogy for former President Cory Aquino
23. "Hindi naman maiiwasan kahit na may edad na tayo, lalong tumitibok ang puso mo… Hindi ko man itago, maraming [manliligaw]. Kahit mahirap, madami. Pero iwas talaga!"
24. "Ang tugon ko sa hamon ng pagkakataon ay... Game na!"
–Edu Manzano on being invited to run as Gilbert "Gibo" Teodoro's vice-presidential candidate in the 2010 elections
25. "Ano'ng software ang ginamit mo?"
–Senator Bong Revilla interrogating Hayden Kho at the Senate inquiry on the sex video scandal
Photos: Noel Orsal of pep.ph (Katrina Halili, Bong Revilla Jr., Carlo J. Caparas, BB Gandanghari, Mar Roxas, Korina Sanchez, Conrado de Quiros, Aling Dionisia, Edu Manzano and Bayani Fernando), Cris Yambing (Alexis Tioseco and Nika Bohinc), op.gov.ph (President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo), abs-cbn.com (Dr. Bistek del Rosario).