Carlos Celdran apologizes to Church for "Damaso" protest
In a letter addressed to Manila Archbishop Cardinal Gaudencio Rosales, artist-activist Carlos Celdran has apologized for his "Damaso" protest at the Manila Cathedral in September.
Posted on his blog last month, the letter reads: "The protest which I mounted, however passionate and earnest on my part, was done without deliberation. It was my attempt to catch the attention of the Church regarding certain political issues but it was not my intention to disrespect the solemnity of the ecumenical event being celebrated on that day."
In September last year, Celdran was arrested after he staged a protest in front of the Manila Cathedral’s altar, where he held up a sign saying "Damaso" and said, "Stop getting involved in politics!" He was speaking against the Catholic Church’s opposition to the Reproductive Health Bill.
Today, Celdran posted on his Facebook account, "I submitted my one-page letter of reconciliation using the Holy Sacraments as my guide. The bishops are busy throughout Lent, said their lawyer, and need time to discuss my letter. I have to go back to trial on May 10."
Inquirer.net reports that the Manila Cathedral rector Nestor Cervo said, "The letter was submitted to the court... It would be for Cardinal Gaudencio Rosales to decide if it will be accepted. The final decision is not mine."
CBCPNews.com quoted Cerbo, "Normally, the Church is always open to (an) apology." He noted that it took Celdran six months to formally apologize, even though he said he suggested that Celdran do so when he (Cerbo) filed the complaint against Celdran.
In response, Celdran said, "I did apologize a couple of hours after the DAMASO incident (through a written statement by my mother and family) but sadly, they rejected it and let me stay in jail for a whole day."