WATCH: VP Leni Robredo Presents Eight-Point Plan to Solve COVID-19 Crisis
She also offered suggestions for economic recovery and education.
(SPOT.ph) As COVID-19 cases continue to increase in the country, measures to help contain the disease are highly needed. President Leni Robredo presented her report on the pandemic response, suggestions, and message of hope to Filipinos through her Facebook page on July 29, 4:39 p.m. The recorded video, which runs for 22 minutes and 42 seconds, comes with a transcript written in the national language.
"Sa puntong ito, halos isang buwan na na mahigit isang libo bawat araw ang dagdag sa mga COVID positive cases ng bansa," her speech started. Fully aware of the thousands of deaths, bodies in the hospital, displaced workers, and ongoing uncertainty, she also pointed out that the Office of the Vice President has been exerting all efforts "basta may maitulong, gaano man kalimitado ang aming budget o mandato."
The report, according to her, is a summary of what her office learned in the past months through the help of health experts as well as the most affected by the pandemic, including frontliners, drivers, workers, and locally stranded individuals. "Ituring sanang karagdagang ambag ang pahayag na ito—mga rekomendasyon at aral mula sa halos limang buwan na naming pakikipag-ugnayan sa ating mga kababayan para labanan ang COVID," she clarified.
Here are some suggestions from the Office of the Vice President (OVP):
- Have an efficient data collection
- Collaborate with universities and academic institutions to speed up the validation process of the Department of Health
- Ensure fast turnover of COVID-19 test results
- Facilitate free swab testing and better holding facilities for locally-stranded individuals
- Adopt a "whole of nation approach," where a competent public health professional takes the helm
- Push the whole public and private sector towards a more cohesive response
- Ensure equal and systemitc distribution of resources to our healthcare systems
- Prioritize care and aid to healthcare workers
Aside from this eight-point suggestion plan, Robredo also gave a list of suggestions for economic recovery:
- Mandate a stimulus package
- Give tax incentives to companies taking care of their workers
- Collaborate with the full force of our economic cluster—from the academe to the private sectors
- Seek out and support local producers instead of outsourcing pandemic essentials like face masks and PPEs
- Mandate all government units to patronize and prioritize local businesses
- Facilitate systematic distribution of Social Amelioration Program
Education amid the pandemic is also one of the nation's biggest problems. The OVP has the following suggestions:
- Put up Internet hubs in every barangay where students have access to gadgets for online learning
- Distribute devices to students who are in need
- Train teachers for distance learning
- Create modules for parents who will be facilitating home schooling
- Find out which areas have zero community transmission and consider if they can reopen their classrooms
- Survey which homes lost their breadwinners due to COVID-19 and help out the students in these families
"Hindi mapipigil ang pandemya kung basta mag-aabang na lang tayo ng bakuna," Robredo pointed out. Her 22-minute speech with concrete plans would be a huge help when implemented by the national government.